15k Why did you even come here? & Winner and Awards

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

15k Why did you even come here? & Winner and Awards

Postby JaoSming on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:09 am

First off, I just wanted to say that the past 5.5 years have been a blast, and well, I quit.
APRIL FOOLS

Thank you to Shadow for spamming with me today to make that happen.

dare wrote:No special thread for Jao's Milestone?

yes, special thread

15,000 posts, that is worth doing a thread. It's been a fun, er, 2 months since 14k but that still gave me enough time to ban half the 2K11 patching community and lower the nightly new post count from an average of 60 posts to 55. I gotta say, I love the attitude from some of these people, well, kids, because they behave that way. The sense of entitlement amazes me and the cries of joy from the masses saying a repeat offender pirate should work for 2K because he can "fix" one issue and break five others is hilarious to me.

That said, the NCAA 2K11 Mod was "finished" during this time period and was received with high praises from the community, whining about overall ratings, and even an article on Kotaku! I think that makes it more legit than SUM 07! ...even though SUM has been downloaded nearly 40,000 times whereas the NCAA mod hasn't even broken 3,000 even with multiple releases through the same counter. At least Street 07 has been downloaded 44,000 times. :bowdown2:

The article on Kotaku was a really big deal for me. The only other NBA PC mod getting press that I remember was when the Classic Teams mod for Live 06 was on G4. I've been a part of a few successful projects, got some press acknowledgement, made console users jealous of the PC (even though that happened with 2K, not Live), and somehow woo'd Andrew into letting me delete all traces of a user with a few mouse clicks. All I have left to do for goals is patch March Madness 2003 and one of the NBA Street games. Too bad no one on the official forums for Dolphin will help me get the emulator working with Gamecube's NBA Street.

And that terminology is something else I wanted to bring up. Patching vs Modding. Technically for 2K, there is nothing more we can do than re-skin the game. Yea we can mess with the roster, and that smeesh is breaking things with the exe, but really, we are just reskinning it. Now with Live PC, we could change the gameplay animations, the player behaviors, and do 3D edits to the stadiums. Yet we always called it "patching" not "modding". Is it because the games aren't that good? And we were "fixing" them? Does that really apply to 2K on PC though? There are a few oversights (online) but the PC game still deserves the same high reviews the console game got. Has anyone else noticed that there hasn't been as many "breakthroughs" with 2K as there were with Live, or that the demand to customize animations or behavior outside of sliders hasn't met the Live levels? Does anyone agree with me that getting a "good" PC basketball game negatively affected the community?

------

On that note, I was curious as to why each of you joined the NLSC? And what has kept you coming back?

I joined because I had to back in 2003 when Andrew forced guests to join to view the board. After lurking for a couple years I finally posted with a "patch" for Live 2005 and kept on rolling since then. I kept coming back because Dahl amazed me with his patches. After learning the EBO editor, and clearing out my PMs box of "Make Rucker!" requests, I kept coming back because of the fun I had creating these patches.....and because of that blood oath Andrew made me take to become a Moderator.

------

OK, the game. I remember seeing this on a few other forums, it's a really dumb popularity contest but I wanted to do it here, and I dont know what it's called.
Rules:
Vote one person up by 1, and vote one person down by 1.
You can only vote once a day.
If no one gets eliminated in a 24 hour period, low man gets eliminated.

WINNAR Jae

~ Eliminated ~
4/14 - Andrew
4/13 - JaoSming
4/12 - benji
4/11 - Pdub
4/10 - Oznogrd
4/9 - el badman
4/8 - The X
4/7 - shadowgrin
4/6 - Jackal
4/5 - jeffx
4/4 - Qballer
4/4 - Lean
4/3 - Modifly
4/2 - dragon@4Q
4/2 - Kris
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: 15k Why did you even come here? & a Dumb Game

Postby J@3 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:24 am

Vote Ben 1 up and vote Dragon 1 down

Good thread btw, congrats too 8-)
J@3

Postby Jackal on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:19 am

Sweet, congrats ese. You know how we do.

Haha, I joined the forums because I saw 2 guys talking dutch not sharing information about how to "obtain" NBA games from MIRC and decided that was kinda rude. So I responded in Dutch and just got addicted. I used to get patches before that, I didn't really get the point of forums and I thought it would be boring...but I love you motherfuckers. <3

Shadow +1
Dragon -1
Jackal

Postby Lean on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:00 am

I don't know what your "I quit" is about. If it's patching you're talking about, we may be thinking of the same thing. :(

Anyway, shadow + 1, Kick -1. At least I'm messing with Pinoys. :lol:

I've known the NLSC since I was into Live '99. I even remember the NLSC website with frames and a different layout per-Live page. I was only aware with patches when Live 2001 came out (never really got my hands on Live 2000). My very first patch was with Live 2003 (a Kevin Willis cyberface) and never released it. The first jersey patch I released was submitted to the NLSC Downloads DB (I think). I registered here in the forums back in 2003 as Crappystuff -- and only posted once.

I always admire the works of Tony, Jowe, Tuomas and Dahl. And wondered if a Pinoy would ever make it to the NLSC team (frAn made it). I returned to patching full-time in Live 07, and now I'm still here because I don't really feel at home at other forums (for example, I joined a forum boards for literary and fiction writers and left because the people are just "too kind").

Anyway, congratulations Jon. Let the burger fest commence!
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Oznogrd on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:04 am

Jae +1
Kick -1?

Congrats on the 15k Jao. You and me will have to go mano a mano on xbox one of these days. I would say toe to toe but you know how it is.

I came here originally because i got Live 2004 in the middle of the year. None of the trades and rosters were right so I went a googling and was led here. I stuck around because I saw too much idiocy and hoped to remedy some of it. 90% of posts i saw were ZOMG Y MY GAMEPAD NO WORK? Yet there was a sticky giving a fix. So yeah. Eventually i quit caring so much about the games and started just hanging out towards the bottom in the NBA/General Forums. You guys have interests most of my r/l friends dont so it gives me a chance to talk Basketball, comics, music..you know: anything thats not american football, video games, and Yu-Gi-Oh (I need more friends). So even though the most current basketball game i have is NBA2k9, im still here. I've taken some hiatuses but this is the only forum that i dont blog for that I frequent.

so yeah. grats again.
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby Axel The Great on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:19 am

First of all, congrats on the 15K Jao, you're doing an awesome job admin-ing. (Y)

Andrew: +1
Jae: -1 (don't know who else to minus)

I joined this forum because I encountered a problem in a Live 10 dynasty (I had recently acquired it). I googled and googled, and came across this forum. I asked my questions, and Andrew answered. I was planning on only utilizing the forum to clear any other doubts I had about the game, but then found the Dynasty and Association sections, so I hung around there. Then, I found a community that loves basketball. Most of my RL friends are soccer freaks, like me, but I need my fair share of discussing basketball, so the NBA and Basketball Talk section serves its purpose (though I mostly lurk there these days).

Overall, I like the community here. All completely different people of course, but we all share one common interest, basketball.
Last edited by Axel The Great on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Lean on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:23 am

Axel. wrote:Jae - -1

[troll]Technically it is still Jae + 1 by the laws of Algebra.[/troll]
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Axel The Great on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:24 am

Yes, me being a math freak, I'll go back and fix that. Thanks. :lol:
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby rise on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:48 am

Congrats JaoSming!
+1 to Andrew
-1 to Kick

Why I came here:

Well, before I joined here, I usually avoided forums, because a lot of them were filled with pointless discussion, lots of random shit, and a lot of people who couldn't string three-word sentences together to save their lives and actually took pride in it. Anyway, I had NBA Live 2003 from when it was new, back in 2002-03 season (duh.) I played it a lot as a 5th and 6th grader, but I kind of lost interest in basketball after that, because I was devoting more of my time to soccer (and unfortunately, schoolwork). So I kind of pushed Live 2003 off to the side, and I didn't find it for almost FOUR YEARS. I didn't really care, because I wasn't really in to basketball anymore anyway. So, about a year and a half ago, I cleaned out my room completely, and I found the old Live 2003 CD and said, "Hey, why not give this a try?" So I did and I played for a few months. I liked it, but wanted a more updated game, so I tried Live 2000 (N64), Live 2004, and 07, from Game Stop but I didn't enjoy any of those.

So I decided I would try to find a way to get Live 2003 to have newer rosters on it, by googling NBA Live 2003 new rosters. I actually ended up downloading a trojan from some random website, and I was stupid enough to try a different download from a random site called the NLSC. I downloaded the TRU09 mod from the Downloads section. I was thrilled with what I found. So I came across these forums looking for a way to make my own patches. I went around for a few months without an account, but I decided, what the heck? I might as well make an account and make a few posts. I was welcomed by the people in the Live 2003 forum fairly nicely (lol the irony. Badger/kapei22 was there, but he didn't act like a retard, in fact he made very good patches) and I ventured out of the 2003 section into the NBA Talk section, and dynasty franchise section. In the NBA Talk section, I played catch-up for the five years of NBA that I had missed/not cared about and in the dynasty association section, I read through some great stories and finally created my own. I was an active member for the first time in an internet forum.

I never actually saw myself posting in one when I was younger. Also, I can't fucking believe I've been here almost a year!

Sorry for the long read guys. :oops:
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:58 am

i'm assuming you can't vote for yourself, so
Jackal +1
Shadowgrin -1(0000...)

I first came here in '99 i think it was... back in the "black & blue" days when i was merely 13 years old. i had NBA Live '98 and was simply looking for a general patch released by EA Sports to improve gameplay/fix bugs. and well i didn't have much time on the internet back then (on 56k dial up modems, since they tied up the phone line) but i did spend a good amount of time here. I became addicted to getting the most updated rosters (i hated creating players manually to add rookies every year. i'd actually watch/tape the draft and write down info to put into the game), jerseys, cyberfaces, and courts for the game. unfortunately for me, i got Live 2000 on PS1 and not PC, but i got Live 2001 and lets just say there were plenty of things to fix in that game so i started releasing my own Live 98 & 2001 patches. played Live 2001 for the longest time and then got Live 2005 for PC and i think i released one or two jersey patches for that game. anyways, there have been some cool people that have come through here and glad to see you're still here Jao (Y)

1000 posts in 2 months?? :spam: :spam: :spam: lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby el badman on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:07 am

Congrats on 15k Jon, impressive :bowdown2:

I started lurking around here in 2003, aftet I got my first own computer and started playing Live. Coming from the console world, I couldn't believe how many different ways there were to improve those games.
I finally started making my own patches in 2006 I think, mostly tattoos, and I started checking other sections of this forum too. I thought there were quite a few interesting characters to say the least, so that's what kept me coming back.

Andrew +1
Lean -1 (for keeping his "special" section so elitist)
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Lean on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:15 am

There goes my livelihood.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:32 am

"game" scoreboard updated

Thank you Jaesus, a vote down for Jae = eternal damnation in Badger's secret section

We love you too Jackal

Lean, you aren't allowed to quit, you didn't take that blood oath? Andrew tricked me.....

Oz, good stuff. All of my friends "grew out" of basketball for manly sports, aka Baseball and Football, and since I was a "jock" none of my friends play a lot of video games, so I know what you mean. I don't know of any Kinect games that are online, but you pick the game and I'd be glad to play.

Thank you Axel #2, good stuff. In retrospect, I really wish I didn't disown Live 10 for it's "2k" changes, I could have had a lot of fun with it and NCAA 10.

Good read Z, I actually Google'd "How old is a 5th Grader" cause I thought we might have a rule breaker here....and then I remembered I'm old....bleh, so I'm going to jail for that search for nothing. That's cool though how you found us, glad you're enjoying it for the most part and early congrats on the year.

Hell Q, I'm glad you're still around, using 2001 wood textures for MySpace and crap. I'm not going to deny the spam attack today (fuckin shadow and his fake Facebook birthdays) but I don't think my posts are Badger quality. :cheeky:

Nice el malo hombre, and thank you.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby J@3 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:45 am

Yeah I'm pretty much going to destroy Axel's profile
J@3

Postby Oznogrd on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:55 am

JaoSming wrote:Oz, good stuff. All of my friends "grew out" of basketball for manly sports, aka Baseball and Football, and since I was a "jock" none of my friends play a lot of video games, so I know what you mean. I don't know of any Kinect games that are online, but you pick the game and I'd be glad to play.

Yeah i always had the weird "half-jock" "half-uber nerd" thing going. Most of my jock friends didnt stay in touch but few of them do any more than casual gaming. The other extreme: all my friends play is JRPGs. This forum gives me a nice middle ground :lol:

Lol did i say something that led you to believe i have kinect? I dont think that shit cooperates if you dont have legs. Wii was bad enough when the board game out..now its a fucking camera. I call discrimination on all of them!

I picked up YDKJ..you me and kathryn could go at it over live sometime. I'm like 20 something eps in and d/l-ed both jack packs.
Oznogrd

Postby rise on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:56 am

Jae wrote:Yeah I'm pretty much going to destroy Axel's profile
Yeah, I thought Axel was kind of stupid for doing that. :lol:
JaoSming wrote:Good read Z, I actually Google'd "How old is a 5th Grader" cause I thought we might have a rule breaker here....and then I remembered I'm old....bleh, so I'm going to jail for that search for nothing. That's cool though how you found us, glad you're enjoying it for the most part and early congrats on the year.
Hehe, I had to think back to remember how old I was in fifth grade, but I remember that was in 2004, seven years ago. I basically spent two months of my life going to school, playing Live, watching the Pistons win it all. It was basically all I could do at the time due to severe ankle injuries from soccer, that still bother me seven years later. I remember that a lot more than Live at that time.
Anyway, thanks for the comment and enjoy your 15K-ness. :D

EDIT: lol Kick's already at 2. :lol:
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby JaoSming on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:24 pm

Oznogrd wrote:Lol did i say something that led you to believe i have kinect?

Nope, it was a terrible joke.

and yea, we should def get some Jack Attack going (Y)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lean on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Okay, everyone who votes me gets access to the Super Secret Exclusive Section for one week. And I'm giving away the secret word!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Axel The Great on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:20 pm

Jae wrote:Yeah I'm pretty much going to destroy Axel's profile
:shifty:

BTW Jao, how long (as in how many days) will we be allowed to vote so I can "undo" the defying of Sir Jaesus?
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby x-uNdErRaTeD-z on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Off topic but what happened to shadowgrin? Just checked the other thread and I don't see anything wrong in there (or maybe you deleted it).
benji wrote:
rayallen20 wrote:What if you let them play a real game? 5 on 5?

The former team (Walker-Rose-Pedja-Anderson-Fisher) would vaporize the latter team off the face of the earth. They have gobs of rings, the latter team has one ring combined. Anyone who doesn't have a ring is worthless especially compared to those who won rings.

Real basketball fans know this, anyone with a ring is better than anyone without one automatically.

Learn about the game already, maybe you could try watching it to start.
x-uNdErRaTeD-z

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:15 pm

Congrats on the milestone Jon, that came around quick. As always, it's great to have you on the team and a big part of the community. (Y)

Interesting take on 2K patching; maybe there's still stuff that can be figured out as time goes on? With Live, I think it helps that at one point they were doing a bit to unofficially help out the PC patching community so there was some flexibility with the files and custom art folders. If 2K continues to release on the PC, perhaps they'll improve the modability. As far as the patching/modding stuff is concerned, I guess I never really thought about it but Tim, Lutz and Brien always used the terms "patches" and "patching", so they kind of stuck even though "modding" is probably the more common term for unofficial add-ons in most gaming communities.

The mention on Kotaku was indeed a highlight, congrats again on that. (Y) I know what you mean about the attitude in the 2K patching/modding community. Admittedly I'm not as heavily involved with that side of things as yet but the sense of entitlement and childishness is disheartening to see and some of the issues with people getting upset over bans and taking it upon themselves to exact lame "revenge" and form private patching communities is, frankly, pathetic. It's a shame that some of them were talented/popular and they have caused a few headaches by trying to make us look like the bad guys but I daresay we'll survive without them.

Anyway, congrats again, hope you'll be with us for some time yet!

As for how I got here: shortly after getting the Internet around August 1997, I went looking for NBA Live 96 stuff (I couldn't run NBA Live 97 PC at the time) and found the NLSC, with Tim's roster updates and all the tools to edit the game myself. I was pretty stoked, finally my created Michael Jordan didn't have to be an undrafted rookie with no date of birth! Pretty soon I was trying my hand at making roster updates and had my own site, eventually in 2001 Tim asked if I'd take over the NLSC since he was working at EA and Lutz and Brien were looking to reduce their involvement. So yes, this August will mark my 10th anniversary as NLSC webmaster.

And the game:
Oznogrd +1
Anyone who hates on Derrick Rose -1
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:48 pm

Andrew wrote:Interesting take on 2K patching; maybe there's still stuff that can be figured out as time goes on? With Live, I think it helps that at one point they were doing a bit to unofficially help out the PC patching community so there was some flexibility with the files and custom art folders. If 2K continues to release on the PC, perhaps they'll improve the modability. As far as the patching/modding stuff is concerned, I guess I never really thought about it but Tim, Lutz and Brien always used the terms "patches" and "patching", so they kind of stuck even though "modding" is probably the more common term for unofficial add-ons in most gaming communities.

i forgot i was gonna touch on this earlier when i made my post. i guess in the earlier days, it was more patching than anything else. just updating graphics that have been outdated an whatnot, but it eventually evolved into much much more, especially when the Live games got much more complex around Live 2005/06. some of the stuff we have been able to change (like lighting) we could never dream of changing back in say Live '98 days. with that said, i think a lot of these newer patches like changing behaviors, animations, 3d models, i would consider all of that "modding" but the early term "patching" i think has stuck since those are the roots of where the new-school modding came from. Tomato, Toh-mah-toh.

Andrew wrote:Anyone who hates on Derrick Rose -1

don't you mean Derrick Blows? :cool:
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby George7 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:55 pm

First things first,Congratulations on the 15k!!Keep your great work on patching and on being a great mod(not sure that all the people can say this!) all the time!
As for the two series.Well it's obvious that after a while ,Live series became the base of this community in order to totally reform the games with many of the mods.(e.g SUM,TUP).Back at the times when patching of NBA Live series was at it's prime,clearly the community was as lively as it can get,with many patchers and members coming over.Well,I believe I have to agree with you that somehow,the community was negatively affected by 2k bringing on a good game on PC. Live sections are now not as half as lively as they were 2 years ago,and as we don't have many thing to change from the "core" of the game,like many did in NBA Live games,the demand for a "revolutionary"(with a little dose of exaggeration) change is reduced. Personally,I don't find my self checking the 2k patching forums as much as i used to do with Live,as I don't find that there are that much things to improve.

Andrew:+1
Kick:-1

Well I started browsing the forums back in 2008 after searching for patches for NBA Live 08. Well found a plethora of patches which made me come again and again here.After a while i found out the Tutorials section and made my first patches,which ,well weren't that great but got some positive comments. But after a while I came across with the NBA LIVE 09 patch mod by papajack,as Live 09 was cancelled. After a while papajack had that accident,and the mod was left over. Then I decided to take over this mod and along with Vhan managed to finish this with a huge success as it seems.After that TUP 10 and TUP 11 kept the success of the mods,and really made me stick here. Then I found out the other sections like the association section and the basketball talk section and NLSC became a part of my life!
George7

Postby Oznogrd on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:22 pm

day 2 votage

Andrew +1 (I appreciate the vote btw, didnt know I was eligible :lol: )

Modi -1 cuz i never see him that much anymore
Oznogrd

Postby J@3 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Day 2 vote. Ben 1 up Dragon 1 down
J@3

Next

Return to Off-Topic