Anyone still playing NBA 2K17?

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Anyone still playing NBA 2K17?

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Just out of interest, since a lot of people have expressed dissatisfaction with NBA 2K18, how many folks around these parts have actually gone back to (or are perhaps alternating playing) NBA 2K17?

I had uninstalled the PS4 version of NBA 2K17 to make room for new games (including NBA 2K18), though I'd left the PC version installed (bigger HDD, after all). After clearing some more space, I actually decided to reinstall NBA 2K17, in part so that it was accessible for articles and video features (i.e. screenshots and footage from my MyCAREER game), but also in case I wanted to play it again. There was a moment of panic when it looked like I might have corrupted the saved data and lost my MyCAREER file, but I managed to retrieve it and re-download progress from 2K's servers, and now everything's working again, with no lost data.

For fun, I went into MyPARK to see if anyone was still there, and it was indeed a ghost town. For all the complaints, it would seem most people have moved on, at least in terms of online gamers. I'll probably do a video about that sometime, but the main reason I reinstalled NBA 2K17 was to go back and play MyCAREER whenever I want, since I have the PC version for everything else. Moving forward, I could see myself spending a bit more time with NBA 2K17 again, and not just in order to create content for the NLSC.

So, how many other people have gone back, or perhaps even skipped NBA 2K18?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Anyone still playing NBA 2K17?

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:41 am

Well, you know I am still playing NBA 2K17. Not surprising it's a ghost town though.

I only play offline anyway, so that doesn't bother me.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:34 am

I tried 2K18 from Share Play, and I don't regret not getting the game. Sure the jersey physics have been improved, but there are so many problems with the game. 2K18 overdoes it with dark stadiums, and because of that, even the light skinned players look dull. A lot of times driving for a layup, the ball smacks underneath the rim, and the big heads ruin the authenticity of the players. 2K17 is still one of my favorite games, and I'm glad I got it for PC to experience the mods.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:04 am

Agreed, NBA 2K17 is definitely up there on my list as far as my favourite 2K games, and favourite basketball games overall. I'd definitely be returning for the single player/offline experience as I did with NBA 2K13, though I am interested to see if I can get a Pro-Am game in 2K17.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:58 pm

While I have never done Pro-Am, I wouldn't be opposed to a run if you can get people together.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:02 pm

It'd have to be on PS4, is all. That's where our NLSC squad has been created.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:32 pm

I'm getting my brother a PS4 Pro for Christmas. So I'll let you know.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Right on. (Y)

We probably won't have much luck, and it's more for interests' sake (I've already got footage of a deserted MyPARK for a Monday Tip-Off feature), but with that being said, I'm interested to see whether there is a contingent of the fanbase still playing NBA 2K17 online on a semi-regular basis.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:13 pm

I came back on 2K17 with the release of 1996 Mod, but I definitly prefear 2K18.

The game feels so scripted, that i cant stand "historical" CPU behavior : long passes in transition in the paint by the CPU, CPU running straight into my defender for a charge mostly everytime, invisible defensive wall (you can't pass anyone on the first step even with Iverson or Irving vs "old with no knees" Dirk)

Worst parts : ingame UI for tactics, and this fucking assistant coach :lol:

The good points for 2K17 : the court's lighting, and all the good mods (D43 / Laroche & Knight / Mickachiste / 2002-03)
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:48 pm

The Brick Wall defense is definitely an issue, but they overdid the attempt at correction in NBA 2K18, in my opinion.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Andrew wrote:Right on. (Y)

We probably won't have much luck, and it's more for interests' sake (I've already got footage of a deserted MyPARK for a Monday Tip-Off feature), but with that being said, I'm interested to see whether there is a contingent of the fanbase still playing NBA 2K17 online on a semi-regular basis.

If it isn't region locked I would like to join.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:26 pm

It's not region locked, but it can be a little laggy for our international squad members.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:26 pm

Andrew wrote:It's not region locked, but it can be a little laggy for our international squad members.

Lag and input delay are the two things I hate about online play lol
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:12 pm

Definitely something you have to adjust for in 2K Pro-Am.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:24 am

I just recently installed 2K17 on my PS4. It's the only basketball game I currently have and for some reason I need to play a 2k game every now and then but I always find myself getting frustrated because I do a MyLeague fantasy draft and there is this strange speed that the game runs after 5 games or so.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby volsey on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:00 am

I gave 2k18 a bit of a shot. But in the end there wasn't enough there to stop me from going back to 2k17.

While I find 2k17 to be a bit predictable at times, and the defensive lapses (back door cuts) are atrocious; the blow by animation, scripted myGM (even if it's just for the first season) and lack of any other significant gameplay changes really turned me off to 2k18. I mean I hate the VC shit as well, and I'm all for participating in fruitless embargo's, but in all honestly, if they fixed the blow by animation, I'd probably consider going to 2k18. It just completely ruins driving and penetrating on offense; which in my my opinion ruins any challenge or fun.

At least with 2k17 you can choose to hold off a bit on abusing the pick and roll back door pass on offense if you've got some self control. But what is one supposed to do with 2k18? Literally not drive into the paint at all?

I also booted up 2k16 because it was still installed, and I expected it to be a bit jarring gameplay wise. And in all honesty I could not tell the difference to 2k17 (other than minor graphics and In game subs) after about 1 12minute quarter of free play. It really is quite sad. I might go back and give 2k16 another shot and see if the more 'fresh in my head' 2k17 problems persisted in 2k16 and my memory is just shit.

Anyways I still enjoy myGM since they've killed myCareer with all this scripted The Sims 5 shit. I remember putting 90% of my time into myCareer in 2k13. Then they started adding bloat and features I had zero interest in, and now I'm back to touching nothing but myGm. I had a Knicks franchise that must be in 2022 by now, if not later. Love building on rookies, seeing them develop.

Took a long break after 2k18 came out, and now started a Seattle Sonics expansion. Building upon Kris Dunn and somehow got Dwight Howard and Chandler Parsons first season. Got 3 decent 75+ rookies in the next draft (Harry Giles, Josh Jackson, PJ Dozier), and second season in I'm the top team in the league (which really kills any sense of progression or building wtf). But anyways having fun with it. I traded for what should be the top pick in the draft (which left my bench very bare bones), and the top 3 picks are looking like all stars from what I've scouted. And I have about 40 million in cap space for free agents next season; so I'd say my team might be a little bit stacked next season.
volsey

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:59 am

I feel the biggest issue with NBA 2K18 is that there was so much focus on building the Neighborhood and preparing the game for the NBA 2K League, a lot of issues with the core experience ended up remaining unaddressed. Likewise, the new player motion tech doesn't feel ready. It's a bit more responsive and that's nice, but it also feels loose and sloppy. In some ways, the game just feels unfinished. NBA 2K17 still feels more robust, and the approach to MyCAREER was way, way better.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K17