Downloading Game Updates Stuck at 0%; Possible Widespread Issue

Talk about NBA 2K22 here.

Downloading Game Updates Stuck at 0%; Possible Widespread Issue

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:46 pm

So this isn't a new issue for NBA 2K on Steam. You fire up the game, it begins downloading new game updates, but gets stuck on 0%. No matter how long you wait, no progress is made and the updates don't download.

Traditionally, there are a few things to check and try here:

• You may have insufficient hard drive space, in which case free some up by deleting/moving non-essential files.
  • Connections being blocked by security software, in which case you should try disabling your anti-virus/firewall software, including Windows' in-built solutions.
  • You can also try removing SYNC.BIN from the game's local folder under Steam\userdata, so that the game has to download updates fresh.

However, after troubleshooting on all those fronts, the issue persists. It appears that it's a common one: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1644960/ ... 563904441/

Furthermore, it's currently affecting NBA 2K20 and NBA 2K21 as well. Like others in that Steam Community thread, I've tried running tracert, as suggested here: https://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/article ... R-4B538E50

I've likewise encountered the timeout errors upon reaching Akamai.com, which seems to be the stalling point for other people as well.

It would appear that a common factor here is not running Windows 10. I've personally been sticking with Windows 7 beyond the end of support due to its flexibility in running some older games that utilise a disc copy protection driver that's been removed in Windows 10, though it's clearly getting to the point where I need to bite the bullet and upgrade. Nevertheless, it's a point worth mentioning, especially as Windows 7 and 8.1 are officially supported by NBA 2K22, as per the system requirements.

To that point, if you aren't running Windows 10 and upgrading isn't an option, it may be an idea to hit up 2K Support or a developer so that they're aware of the issue. In any case, that's what the situation appears to be right now. If you're encountering that issue even after trying the usual troubleshooting methods, you're not alone. I'll be keeping track of the issue in this topic. Feel free to share ideas and experiences, particularly if you have actually encountered the same problem on Windows 10. As I said though, it seems to be an issue that's affecting Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users at this time.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Downloading Game Updates Stuck at 0%; Possible Widespread Issue

Postby Notforkids on Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:33 am

So what is the solution? Also I can't download any in game data (file is corrupted).
Notforkids

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:32 pm

Assuming the issue is just affecting Windows 7 and 8.1 users - as seems to be the case - the solution would be upgrading to Windows 10. If the problem is happening on Windows 10 as well, the troubleshooting steps I noted above would apply as usual. It's looking like there's an issue from 2K's end, however.

I've hit up Leftos and his team is looking into it, so hopefully it can be resolved soon. I'll post any further information as I get it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Notforkids on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:58 am

I noticed that I got the same issues now with 2k21. Before it was ok...So 2k must fix this?
Notforkids

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:26 pm

Yes.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:26 pm

FYI, the issue has now been resolved.

If you are still having issues, try the usual troubleshooting methods:

Andrew wrote:Traditionally, there are a few things to check and try here:

• You may have insufficient hard drive space, in which case free some up by deleting/moving non-essential files.
  • Connections being blocked by security software, in which case you should try disabling your anti-virus/firewall software, including Windows' in-built solutions.
  • You can also try removing SYNC.BIN from the game's local folder under Steam\userdata, so that the game has to download updates fresh.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Notforkids on Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:53 pm

Yeah, now it works. But they just disabled updates or how? Because I dont get updates anymore
Notforkids

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:58 am

Whatever they needed to do from their end to resolve it, they apparently were able to and did. Updates will still come through when they're available.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:10 pm

Yes, it was resolved back in September.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K22