NBA Live 07
|NBA Live 07|
NBA Live 07 cover art.
|Platform(s)||Windows, Playstation 2, Playstation Portable, Xbox, Xbox 360|
|Release date(s)|| Xbox 360|
September 25th, 2006
PC, PS2, Xbox, PSP
September 26th, 2006
|System requirements|| Minimum:
NBA Live 07 (also known as NBA Live 2007 or Live 07 and stylised as NBA LIVE 07) is the thirteenth instalment in the NBA Live series and the second release for the Xbox 360 console. The PC and Playstation 2 versions were released in North America on September 26th, 2006 while the Xbox 360 version was released on September 25th. The North American/English version of the game features Tracy McGrady as its cover player while Dirk Nowitzki was featured on the cover in Germany, Pau Gasol graced the cover in Spain and Tony Parker and Boris Diaw appeared on the French cover. It is the direct sequel to NBA Live 06 and is followed by NBA Live 08.
NBA Live 07 is EA Sports' NBA release for the 2006/2007 NBA season. Reaction to the game has been mixed, with a 2007 poll seeing it ranked high on fans' lists of favourite and least favourite games. The PC version in particular was criticised for the presence of several bugs, some of which were addressed through an official patch. The PC version also lacked several of the features introduced in the Xbox 360 version, a sore point with PC fans who were disappointed that the PC version was still being ported from the Playstation 2.
Two of the major features in the Xbox 360 version were Procedural Awareness and Foot Planting Technology. Procedural Awareness endeavoured to make players react more realistically to the play by following the ball and being "aware" of the action while Foot Planting Technology was an animation/motion capture technique intended to eliminate skating. The features were a modest success but foot planting in particular was criticised for making the players feel too heavy and adding momentum that was difficult to control. On-Ball Scenarios were introduced to improve player collisions and defensive scenarios in the PC and Playstation 2 versions, however this was not utilised by the Xbox 360 version. Dynasty Mode however made its return in the Xbox 360 version having been left out of NBA Live 06.
NBA Live 07 also saw the debut of signature jumpshot styles and the expansion of Freestyle Superstars, utilising a trigger button and the right analog stick to perform moves. The PC version featured two levels of FSS (Star and Superstar) with varying movesets and effectiveness while the Xbox 360 version utilised three different levels of FSS players. The PC version also featured X-Factor players who could temporarily gain FSS abilities, representing players who are borderline stars and often provide a spark for their teams as a key player in the rotation. Conversely, Superstar players in the Xbox 360 version could get In the Zone and utilise special Level 3 Superstar moves.
To date, NBA Live 07 is the only game to utilise seperate layup, dunk and jumpshot buttons. Beginning with NBA Live 08, the option to perform a dunk or layup was once again assigned to a single button with a seperate button for jumpshots.
The PC version continues to be patched by the community as of 2021. Most art patches created for NBA Live 08 are compatible with NBA Live 07 without any conversion. Roster patches made for NBA Live 08 can also be converted for use with NBA Live 07 fairly easily.
Official Features List
- EA SPORTS™ Total Freestyle Control: Take complete control of EA SPORTS™ Freestyle Superstars to perform the true-to-life moves of a High Flyer, Shooter, Scorer, or Playmaker, then elevate your game to the next level by changing skill attributes on-the-fly. Toggle through your Freestyle Superstar moves at any time to decide how your stars win the game.
- Take Over the Game: Use the all-new progressive control system to maneuver your Freestyle Superstars to elevate their play and take over the game. Perform a spectacular move to dazzle the crowd and boost your team’s momentum. Feel the intensity rise as your defensive stopper, veteran leader, or fan favorite steps up in key situations.
- Hundreds of Moves: Freestyle Superstars now feature different levels of ability to replicate NBA players, giving you ultimate control over hundreds of moves. But only the game’s greatest players can rise to the highest level so get the ball in their hands when the game is on the line.
- Signature Jump Shots: The game’s best players have their signature jump shots replicated in-game for true-to-life authenticity.
- Unprecedented ESPN Integration: With the most advanced ESPN integration package ever offered, the worldwide leader in sports delivers updates, scores, breaking news, radio podcasts and ESPN Motion.
- New AI System: Introducing an intuitive game engine specifically designed for Next Generation consoles. Take full control of your offensive game with team-specific plays, such as the triangle offense and the pick-and-roll. Assert your dominance on defense with the ability to elevate into the air to block shots or grab one-handed rebounds.
- NBA All-Star Weekend: ESPN analyst Greg Anthony and TNT broadcaster Ernie Johnson call the action as you showcase your skills in the Slam Dunk Contest and 3 Point Shootout. The weekend includes the Rookie Challenge and the prestigious NBA All-Star Game.
- Advanced Dynasty Mode™: Take charge of your favorite team by becoming GM and experience the challenge of managing team chemistry throughout the season. Scout players, propose trades and investigate rumors to keep your team on track from the NBA Draft to the NBA Finals.
- Voices of the NBA: Former Chicago Bulls star Steve Kerr joins the legendary Marv Albert courtside. Together they call all the action from the best seats in the house, giving you expert insight on all the superstars.
Criticism & Reaction
NBA Live 07 was not one of the better received editions of the NBA Live series, particularly the PC and PS2 versiosn which featured several bugs that prevented fans from enjoying the game, such as the Substitution Bug. After a patch petition was submitted to the production team, an official patch was released on November 10th that addressed a few of the major issues in the PC version. Since the release of the official update, NBA Live 07 continues to be played and patched by members of the community.
- Saw the debut of multi-level Freestyle Superstars, X-Factor, and ESPN Integration.
- Despite the initial poor reception, NBA Live 07 was named as the second favourite game in the series in a 2007 poll held in the NLSC Forum, edging out NBA Live 2000 and finishing behind NBA Live 2005.
- A subsequent poll held in the NLSC Forum also saw NBA Live 07 named the least favourite instalment in the NBA Live series.
- One official patch was released that addressed various issues, such as the substitution bug.
Xbox 360 Screenshots
NBA Live 06
NBA Live 08